Apple Pear Crisp Recipe
If you haven't gathered this by now, I love when autumn comes around for a multitude of reasons. One of the main ones being baked goods. This is one of my favorite fall desserts, and it is super simple to make. You can make this for Thanksgiving, or enjoy it on a random fall Sunday just because.
3-4 small pink apples (Braeburn, Fuji, Pink Lady, Gala, etc.)
3-4 small granny smith apples
3-4 red Bartlett pears
Apple pie spice (allspice, nutmeg, cinnamon)
1 3/4 cups All-purpose flour (gluten free or whole wheat)
1 cup Organic cane sugar
1 cup Organic brown sugar
1 cup old-fashioned oats
1.5 sticks grass-fed butter, diced into cubes and softened to room temp
1. Thinly slice apples and pears (you may leave the peels on)
2. Place apples in large mixing bowl. Add 3 tbsp freshly squeezed Meyer lemon juice and 1 tsp grated lemon zest (optional, add 1 tsp orange zest as well), 1/4 cup sugar, 1/4 cup brown sugar, 1.5 tsp cinnamon, 1/4 tsp allspice, and 1/4 cup flour. Mix well to coat.
3. In another bowl, combine remaining sugars and flour, 1 tsp cinnamon, 1/4 tsp allspice, and oats. Using two forks, cut in butter until mixture is in large crumbles.
4. Grease baking dish (deep 9 inch pie pan or 9x13'' cake pan) with butter or coconut oil. Pour apples into dish, then spread crumble mixture evenly on top.
5. Bake at 350 degrees for about 50 minutes, until top is golden and fruit is bubbly.
6. Optional: once baked, sprinkle with fresh pomegranate seeds, toasted pecans, or chia seeds for added healthy fats and fiber. Enjoy!!